4. Carbon Monoxide and Your Safety
- If You Smell Gas
- Can You Smell it?
- Propane Gas Detectors
- Carbon Monoxide and Your Safety
- Lighting Pilot Lights
- Appliance Maintenance
- Running Out of Gas
What is Carbon Monoxide (CO)?
You can't taste or smell CO, but it is a very dangerous gas, produced when any fuel burns. High levels of CO
can come from appliances that are not operating correctly, or from a venting system or chimney that becomes blocked.
CO Can be Deadly! High levels of CO can make you dizzy or sick (see below). In extreme cases, CO can cause
brain damage or death.
Symptoms of CO poisoning include:
If You Suspect CO is Present, act immediately!
- Shortness of breath
To Help Reduce the Risk of CO Poisoning:
- If You or a family member shows physical symptoms of CO poisoning, get everyone out of the building and call
911 or your local fire department.
- If it is safe to do so, open windows to allow entry of fresh air, and turn off any appliances you suspect may be
- If no one has symptoms, but you suspect that CO is present, call your propane retailer or a qualified service
technician to check CO levels and your propane equipment.
Signs of Improper Appliance Operation that Can General High CO Levels:
- Have a qualified service technician check your propane appliances and related venting systems annually,
preferably before the heating season begins.
- Install UL-listed CO detectors on every level of your home.
- Never use a gas oven or range-top burners to provide space heating.
- Never use portable heaters indoors unless they are designed and approved for indoor use.
- Never use a barbecue grill (propane or charcoal) indoors for cooking or heating.
- Regularly check your appliance exhaust vents for blockage.
- Sooting, especially on appliances and vents.
- Unfamiliar or burning odor.
- Increased moisture inside of windows.